My environment includes Ubuntu 10.04 Server Edition with btrfs file system.
There is an option of reflinking files in that fs - which means a little like
'copying them without taking any space', just making references to source file
and creating a diff file instead. Only the changed-parts of the file are stored on HD :).
The application uses reflink option and it's main purpose is to clone VMs.
I will just describe its main functions - configuration and run of VBox Cloner will be added in
- cloning machines of a specific user
- listing registered VMs
- changing source/destination clone directory
- source user check (which user should VBoxCloner user to register new VM)
- Issuing commands to VM - running in headless mode, restarting etc (which the main Virtual Box 4.0 GUI lacks btw.)
- Controlling VM snapshots - listing, restoring snapshots
VirtualBox Cloner is now open source :)!!!
project home page is located at:
Documentation can be found here: